A Village is a community of neighbors and friends. Membership in Silver Spring Village provides opportunities for you to make new friends; expand your support network; and become a more independent, better-informed, and more active participant in your community.
We welcome residents throughout the 20910 ZIP Code to join our Village, as either Full Members or Associate Members. Both membership levels offer valuable benefits, for individuals and couples. Associate membership is also
open to people who live outside the boundaries of 20910.
Read below to see which membership level best meets your needs and interests.
Here's what our members have to say:
I am such a happy camper! Village membership rocks!
Mom and I can't say enough about this group of people. We're lucky to have them in Silver Spring.
If you're thinking about joining, please do it -- for the peace of mind!
People ought to be signing up in droves!
BENEFITS FOR ALL MEMBERS (Full and Associate Members)
Actiivities that Are Stimulating, Educational, and Fun
We invite ALL of our members to the interesting and fun programs that we design for education, socialization, and recreation. Examples include social gatherings; educational presentations; discussions about news events and current issues; restaurant get-togethers; neighborhood history tours; and excursions to movies, museums, sports events, and performances. Some programs are open to the public. To see the variety of offerings, please visit our "Calendar" page.
Note: By prior arrangement, members are welcome to bring a prospective member to most Village events. Please call 240-200-4280 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure space is available.
In addition to the many activities planned by our Programs Committee, we have a large and growing number of member-initiated interest groups. These regularly scheduled meet-ups include: a book group (open to the public), moderated current events discussions, Bridge, Scrabble, Poker, "foodies," and "getting to know you." Other groups are sharing poems, watching movies, and taking walks. These groups meet at least monthly (some meet every week).
To see photos from more of our activities, click here.
Negotiated Discounts That Will Save You Money
- Home Maintenance Professionals: Electricians, plumbers, lawn care services, and other home maintenance professionals that serve Silver Spring neighborhoods are cooperating with us to offer our members discounts on home repairs and maintenance.
- Local Shops and Restaurants: Numerous local shops and restaurants in downtown Silver Spring have agreed to give our members discounts of at least 10% on goods and services.
Subscription to Washington Consumers’ CHECKBOOK
All members receive the online version of Washington Consumers’ CHECKBOOK, to help them identify reliable and affordable service providers. CHECKBOOK rates local repair services, stores, health services, personal services, and more.
Access to Our Village Information Service
All members can call our office for information concerning resources for seniors that are available in Montgomery County. We can help you find resources for health information, home care, caregiver support, consumer information and protection, financial assistance and public benefits, grief and bereavement, hospice and palliative care, recreation, transportation, and more.
We can also help you identify qualified home maintenance professionals, like electricians and plumbers, based on ratings in Washington Consumers’ CHECKBOOK, members’ satisfaction, and our knowledge of local public resources. (Payment and scheduling of professional services is the member’s responsibility.)
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR FULL MEMBERS
Full Members receive all of the benefits described above PLUS:
Full Members may request the help of our Village volunteers, who provide the many services listed below. The cost of these services is covered by payment of your Full Membership dues.
- Transportation: If you are a Full Member and do not drive, or do not drive at night, you can request a volunteer driver to take you where you need to go or run an errand for you. Typical destinations are grocery stores, doctors’ offices, meetings, and social and educational events, including those sponsored by our Village.
- Household Assistance: Volunteers help Full Members with a wide variety of indoor tasks, such as replacing a smoke detector battery or ceiling light, moving boxes or furniture from one room to another, replacing an A/C filter, and removing window screens. Outdoors, volunteers can clear a snowy walk, water plants, or clear storm debris. If you are away, volunteers might watch for mail or packages, or provide pet care.
- Technology: Full Members may request a volunteer to help with computers, remote controls, telephones, programmable thermostats, and other electronic devices.
- Personal Contacts and Friendly Visits: Our volunteers are available to check in with Full Members, to say hello and make sure you are okay. You can choose to have these contacts by phone or in person, either on a regular basis or in case of a power outage or other emergency. We encourage all Full Members to complete our Storm Assistance Survey.
For services that cannot be performed by our volunteers, we will provide referrals to qualified professionals. These referrals are based on ratings in Washington Consumers’ CHECKBOOK, members’ satisfaction, and our knowledge of local public resources. (Payment and scheduling of professional services is the member’s responsibility.)
MORE REASONS TO JOIN
Hassle-Free Help: When you need help, a single phone call or email to the Village will set things in motion. No more wondering “Who can I call?” A Village volunteer will find out what you need and identify a volunteer or appropriate professional who can help. For most volunteer services, we ask that you give us a week’s notice. However, we will also try to meet members’ unanticipated needs on short notice.
This Is YOUR Village: We design programs and services based on member interests and needs. We encourage members to communicate with us, in person, by phone, or by email. We want you to let us know what you need or want, what works and what doesn’t, and your ideas about how to make our Village stronger. And we will reach out to members through information sent directly to you or posted on our website. This includes our widely distributed bi-monthly newsletter, the Village Vibe, and the monthly Insider, which goes exclusively to our members and volunteers.
Our phone line and email are monitored daily. When you contact us, someone will speak to you directly or respond to your message within a few hours. Phone: (301) 503-7401. Email: email@example.com.
Helpers You Know and Trust: All Silver Spring Village volunteers are screened, trained, and insured. They are your neighbors. Some volunteers are also members of the Village.
photo by Marc Kagan
HOW TO JOIN
To get started as a member, please print and complete our brief Membership Application and return it with your payment to: Silver Spring Village, PO Box 8217, Silver Spring MD 20907. Or send a note indicating your interest in membership to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are applying for Full Membership, we will contact you to schedule an interview in your home. This is to give you more information about the Village and to ensure a good match between your expectations and what the Village can provide.
Silver Spring Village is a nonprofit organization whose operation depends on membership dues, volunteers, and monetary contributions from individual and institutional supporters. To make services widely available throughout our community, membership dues, which cover less than half our operating costs, are as low as possible.
Full Membership: $350 for an individual Associate Membership: $150 for an individual
$450 for a couple $250 for a couple
Reduced Membership Dues:
To ensure inclusivity, we offer reduced membership dues to applicants with limited income. Please call Debbie Billet-Roumell at 240-200-4290 for income guidelines. All financial information will be held strictly confidential.
Full Membership: $60 Associate Membership: $25
Village membership provides peace of mind and continued connection to your community — priceless!